Throughout this blog, in posts, and particularly in the podcasts, I talk about things I use to make my business better.
I thought it would be helpful to create a centralized location for all of this information.
In the future, if you ever want to check something out that I’ve talked about, just come to this page. You might even want to consider bookmarking it for future reference.
Disclosure: please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I have experience with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
- WordPress: the go to blogging, and, for that matter, website platform. If you are starting a blog, you’ve got to run it on wordpress. And, it’s free!
- The Thesis Theme for WordPress: this is the wordpress theme that this blog, my DUI website, my traffic website, and my law firm blogs run on. It isn’t free, but it’s the best platform for both SEO and development.
- How to Start a Law Firm Blog that Matters: these are just some links to posts I’ve done in the past. Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; and Part 5.
- godaddy.com – this is the place I buy all of my website addresses (otherwise known as URLs). I don’t host my websites here (that information is below) because I was recommended a different place. If you want to host here too, go for it.
- hostgator.com – this is the web hosting I use for all of my sites. It’s cheap, the customer service is great, and I’ve never had a break in service. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these guys.
Email Subscriptions and Marketing
- Aweber: This is the best email marketing/list building platform there is. It’s what I use to both capture email addresses on the site (the opt-in forms) and to distribute messages to everyone.
- Google Analytics: free tool that allows you to see who has visited your site, how long they were there, how they got there (referral or search, for example), and where they went. A must have for any business owner.
- Google Optimizer: A little more advanced, but something that allows you to test two versions of one page to see what works better. For example, you can test one call to action (Call Today) versus another (Call Now) to see what works best. Also free.
- Clicky: this site is really cool because it lets you see who is on your site in REAL TIME! And, better yet, the first website is free.
- Elance: I use this service for my website design. My contractor is Cellenze. They are based in India, I believe, and are very knowledgeable with the Thesis theme, are very responsible, and do great work. Elance is also great for almost everything else you might need.
- Odesk: I use this service for my podcast transcription. They, like elance, can do a lot for you from a virtual assistant standpoint.
- 99designs: These guys have turned logo design on its head. They create your logo by having designers compete for you. It’s a great service too.
- Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passiomn by Gary Vaynerchuck – Read my review here. Short version review is this is a book about what it takes to be successful in business. It’s about working hard AND smart.
- Purple Cow, New Edition: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by Seth Godin: a great book about marketing in today’s world. A lot of emphasis on finding whatever you can to differentiate yourself. Quote of the book, “safe is risky.”
- E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company by Michael Gerber
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Tim Ferris
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown